Monday, June 25, 2012

Another Game for MILOSSSS

Incase you were wondering...my taco bell was delicious. It traveled quite well. It was glorious and I can't wait to try the Doritos taco when I am home. My parents' visit was pretty much what you would expect a visit with the Mannans to be. Just the three of us making fun of each other non stop. My dear old mother was exposed to some rather...unwanted... scenery here in Holland. On the train ride from The Hague back to Amsterdam, her poor, innocent eyes were exposed to a crazy, naked Dutch man. Full frontal...Welcome to Europe, mom!

After a brief tour of Holland, we made our way to Cologne, Germany. For no other reason than getting Papa Mannan his Hard Rock Cafe fix! The following weekend we flew to Germany to spend some time with Elizabeth before her Diamond Jubilee. Then these past 2 weeks I traveled with my brother. We had tickets on Ryanair from Dusseldorf, Germany to Zadar, Croatia. These budget airlines always fly out of smaller airports in the middle of nowhere, and this was no exception. The airport was in a town called Weeze, about and hour and a half outside of Dusseldorf. We decided to stay the night in the airport since we had an early morning flight. I think we must have set some kind of record that day. We got to the airport 12 hours before our flight, and still missed it. THANK YOU RYAN AIR. Luckily I was able to book a last minute ticket out of Cologne the next morning and we made it to Croatia.

Zadar was my favorite city in Croatia. Zadar has the first sea organ ever created, made through pipes built underwater and when wind pushes water into them, they push out notes. The music is hauntingly mesmerizing. You can also catch beautiful sunsets at the sea organ, sunsets that Alfred Hitchcock has been quoted saying are "the most beautiful sunsets in the world." (Full disclosure: they were beautiful, but I've seen better, you just can't beat the sunsets in St. Kilda, Oz!) We also did a side trip to Mostar, in Bosnia, where we made a new best friend, Milo. He continuously told us how much joy we brought him (why? we suck!), and also told us "I will smoke with my son when he is older because I am COOL!" Silly Milo! Mostar had some of the friendliest people we have met, and we even heard some first hand accounts of the war.







I am officially done with my first year of grad school! Next week I embark on a trip through Scandanavia, and then a summer of funemployment, frolicking with Turk, and eating lots of delicious Mama Mannan food at home!

Quote of the day: "I don't want to be the first person to drown at Krka National Park!"-Apparently, Nikhil can't swim.

1 comment: